In 2015 it was estimated over £2 Billion was left unclaimed in UK frozen pension plans. With the average UK employee now having six jobs in a lifetime it is little wonder that so many pensions are lost, unclaimed or left behind in poorly performing funds. So what are your frozen pension options?
When you leave an employer your pension scheme is usually ‘Frozen’. Although this means you (or your former employer) can no longer able to make contributions the pension still belongs to you. Subject to certain rules you may cash in one, or more, frozen pension plans.
If you are over 55 years of age you may access your frozen pension (deferred pension) fund, take a tax free cash lump sum of up to 25% of the fund value or cash in the pension in full.
We offer straightforward frozen pensions advice. We will:
- Find your frozen pension plans, their terms and value without charge or obligation.
- Provide the professional advice you need to give you peace of mind.
- Assess the best option for you.
- Talk you through the process.
- Ensure you do not pay more tax than you need to.
Then, depending on what you decide, given your unique circumstances, we can:
- Access a tax free cash lump sum.
- Secure the full value of the pension fund.
- Combine several frozen pension (deferred pension) funds into one scheme.
- Transfer the frozen pension (deferred pension) fund to one offering higher returns.
To assess your frozen pension options the first step is to identify which pension schemes you may have, who controls the funds, the fund value and the terms of the scheme. All of which we can do without charge and with no obligation.
Remember, taking any pension benefits early will leave you less to live on in retirement. There are serious tax implications to consider with several of the above options and fees may be applied by the pension fund administrators.