National Insurance Credits and Child Benefit

The UK website states ‘To get the full basic State Pension you need a total of 30 qualifying years of National Insurance contributions or credits. This means you were either working and paying National Insurance, getting National Insurance Credits, (for example for unemployment or sickness) or paying voluntary National Insurance contributions’

Data recently provided to the Treasury Select Committee by HMRC shows some households in the UK may not be securing their full National Insurance Credits. The issue relates to Child Benefit.

You may choose to pay a tax charge, known as the ‘High Income Child Benefit Charge’ if you have an individual income over £50,000 and you or your partner get Child Benefit. Or you can choose to not receive Child Benefit. If you take the second option it is important to continue to complete the Child Benefit claim form or you may not receive National Insurance credits.